Spray foam insulation is the mixture of two ingredients, that when they come together, they expand and harden into a thick foamy substance to help cover the area you are trying to insulate. This type of insulation can be difficult to install, and should be left to a professional installation company to ensure it is installed properly. See below for some pros and cons of spray foam insulation to see if it's the right choice for you.
- Good For Sloped Surfaces. This type of insulation is great for sloped ceilings that need to be insulated. Unlike batt or board insulation, the spray foam will stick to sloped, vertical and horizontal surfaces with ease.
- Cover Air Leaks. Spray foam insulation helps get rid of air leaks much better than any other type of insulation. If installed correctly, the spray foam will fill in holes and gaps that can cause precious energy to escape from your home. In the end, this type of insulation can end up saving you money.
- Won't Attract Rodents Or Insects. With other types of insulation such as batt insulation, rodents and insects can be attracted to it for warmth. Spray foam insulation will not attract rodents or insects.
- Needs To Be Installed Properly. If you get an installer that isn't too knowledgeable about spray foam insulation, or works too quickly, the spray foam can be installed improperly, which means you could still have air leaks, making your insulation not as effective.
- Chemicals Need To Be Mixed Properly. If the chemicals aren't mixed properly the insulation can pull away from the wall.
- Bad Odors. Again, if the chemicals are not mixed according to the manufacturer's instructions, you could be left with bad odors that could potentially cause health concerns.
- Insufficient Thickness. When hiring a professional company, be sure you know how thick the insulation is going to be. If the insulation is not thick enough, it won't be able to do its job properly.
- Outside Temperature. You need to follow the manufacturer's guidelines on temperature. If you live in an area that has too much humidity, or it gets too cold outside, it could cause rot in side your home. Be sure to read the manufacturer's guidelines before having this type of insulation installed in your home.
Spray foam insulation is a great option to insulate your home. Be sure to follow the guidelines and have the insulation installed by a professional that specializes in this type of insulation.